"THERE NEVER HAS BEEN, NOR WILL THERE EVER BE, ANYTHING QUITE SO SPECIAL AS THE LOVE BETWEEN A MOTHER AND A SON." - AUTHOR UNKNOWN


Friday, April 1, 2011

Sweet Potatoes, Constipation, and Purple Feet

 Week 22

Friday started Week 22 off with a new milestone.  I had decided that Ty had "mastered" rice cereal.  He had been taking 1.5 tablespoons twice a day with great gusto and I have been making it thicker and thicker.  So after doing some research, I decided that I would start with sweet potatoes.  I definitely wanted to do a vegetable first, since "they say" babies can get used to the sweet taste of the fruits and not like the veges.  And having me as a mother, with my sweet tooth problem, I figured that Tyson was even more predisposed to this!  It was interesting that I did end up starting with sweet potatoes because I do not like them at all.  But that does not mean anything!  I gave it to him for lunch first and he ate the whole tablespoon but he definitely was not completely sold on it.  It worried me a bit, but all my fears were put aside, when I gave it to him again at suppertime and he inhaled it.  When I say "inhale" it, I'm not exaggerating.  After I put the spoon in his mouth with a bite, I do not have time to dip the spoon back into the bowl, without him leaning forward with his mouth completely open for the next bite.  It is so cute.  And it is for the whole feeding, he is like a speed eater!  Now 1 week later, he is taking 1.5 tablespoons of both the sweet potatoes and rice cereal two times a day.  He is doing great!  What wasn't so great was 2 days straight of him up screaming most of the night.  What in the world?  We used to have the best sleeper around, what happened?  I was exhausted from being up nearly all night Thursday, that I told Heath that he was on Ty duty because I had to work all weekend.  Again, I should have slept in the guest room but I didn't.  I'll learn some day.

After his first taste...Reeses always sitting by Ty for his meals!

Anticipating the next bite!

So Sabbath I worked and Ty and Heath went to Conway church again.  This time Heath set the alarm and they made it on time!  On Sabbath, while at work, I bit the bullet and called the pediatrician on-call.  Ty had not pooped in 3 days.  Ty has been slowing down to going about once a day, but the 3 day thing was getting to be a bit too much.  Maybe that was why he was screaming at night.  I knew that it was from the solids (rice cereal is especially constipating) but what I didn't know was when you became concerned and pulled out the big guns, like a suppository.  The doc told me to use 1/2 oz of prune juice and a 1/2 oz of water and give it to him.  I had thought about that, but I haven't started giving him any juice yet, but she said it was fine.  She said, "They think it's liquid candy because it's sweet, so he will love it!"  I called Heath to give him this info and he proceeded to tell me that he had the biggest poop on record (well, at least on Tyson's record).  So I was so relieved and at least I know what to do if it happens again.  And he has been regular the rest of the week!  Saturday night, he still screamed for part of the night, but it was much better.  ?Teeth, I don't see any signs, so I just don't know.

Doesn't it look like he is trying to poop? (=

Sunday, worked again... and Heath and Ty had another dubb day.  The one thing Heath reported to me when I got home is that Tyson stood by himself for a few minutes straight, while holding onto a box.  I tried it out on Monday and he did do it, but he was definitely wobbly!  Sunday night, the big news in our household is that we booked a cruise for the end of April to go with Heath's parents.  We usually do this every spring, but with the China trip, we weren't going to.  But this was definitely needed to ease in the pain of the cancelled trip.  I am so excited.  We are going out of San Juan on Celebrity (a line we have never gone on) and going to St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Antigua (never been to), St. Lucia (never been to), and Barbados.  I think it is almost the exact cruise that the Cases, Conrads, and my parents went on last year.  It is going to be interesting with an infant, but we will make it work.  Ty had to be 6 months old to go on the cruise and we made it by 1 day!  Ty turns 6 months on 4/22 and we cruise on 4/23!  But I have to say that our cruising might be done for awhile though.  It is unbelievable to me that we have to pay a full fare for Tyson (sorry, he was $20 off), so it was good that it was wicked cheap.  But I can't see us paying for 2 kids on a cruise, when they don't even eat the food!  Sunday night, Ty slept all night!  Amazing!  What changed?  Nothing.

 Standing up like a big boy!

Ty looks psyched to be going on his first vacation!

Monday was "weekend pick-up day", which always takes awhile, and then "grocery day."  Ty only slept for 30 minutes and then was awake.  I tried to milk it out longer and went to a store at the outlets, but he would not go back to sleep.  But even with that, he was abnormally happy all day.  Unreal.  I love days like this.  He even was happy as a clam in his swing, while I ate lunch.  He usually screams the entire time I eat lunch - what a relaxing time for me to enjoy my food!  I keep telling him, "Tyson, you just ate, now it's Mommy's turn.  I am not going to pick you up.  You are going to have to deal with it."  He is never happy to hear this!  So weird, he did not nap at 6PM either - and I tried everything we usually do to get sleepy (cuddling, rocking, or twirling around in the computer chair, which is Noni's trick.).  Nothing worked.  But at least, he wasn't miserable, so I gave up.  At the last minute, we decided to go to Chili's for supper with my parents, who were just coming back from the airport from a weekend trip to Georgia.  It was going to be right at the time Ty was due to eat.  So for the first time, I brought the bumbo and sat it on the table and fed him his sweet potatoes and cereal in a restaurant.  He did great!  And it was also the first time that I nursed him afterwards (instead of before) - which I did when we got home.  He nursed just like he always does - I was afraid he would be too full and not nurse well, but it wasn't the case.  Monday night, Heath and I watched, "The Next 3 Days", a movie that my parents had just recommended while we were at Chili's.  Seriously, one of the best movies we have seen in awhile.  For all you readers out there, watch it!

"Happy Ty"

More happy moments!

Tuesday brought a new dilemma to my attention.  I had noticed it before, but now it seems to be getting worse.  When I get Tyson dressed in the AM, his feet are freezing and purple.  When I say "purple" - I mean it, it is really impressive.  His hands will get cold and bluish, but not as severe as his feet.  And this is sleeping with socks on at night!  When I hold his feet in my hands to try to warm them up, his feet blanche to pure white and the capillary refill takes 7 seconds for it to go back to purple again.  And purple not pink!  Now, I am taught in nursing that capillary refill should be less than 2 seconds.  So I know that infant's circulatory system is still immature and sometimes the feet and hands turn purple, but I felt like this was a bit ridiculous, and should this really still be happening at 5 months?  I know that it can be a sign of cardiac problems, but he has no breathing difficulties and his face/lips are pink and fine.  So I decided to put his feet in fairly hot water (not too hot, though) and had him stand in the sink for a few minutes.  His feet pinked right up without any problems.  I'm afraid he might have Raynaud's, but there is nothing to do for that, except protect his feet and hands from the cold.  So I have been doubling up on his socks and mittens at night and I have seen an improvement.  I probably should call the pediatrician, but I just called them, and I don't want to seem like a hysterical first-time mom.  Has this happened to anybody out there?  Anyways, other things that happened on Tuesday was a Goodwill shopping day (Ty only slept 30 minutes again) and Ty got his first haircut!  No, Heath just cut a few wispy hair strands that were super long!  The strands were pretty funny!

 Purple feet - look at how rosy his cheeks are!

 Turning white for 7 seconds!

 Pinked right up after the hot water!

 Ty's first "haircut" (or should I say, "strand-cut")

Wednesday I worked and my mother reported that Ty had a great day and ate like a champ.  I stayed 2 hours late at work to finish a quality analysis that is due every quarter.  I usually have time to work on it during work, but it has been so busy lately, and only working 2 days a week - I could not get it done.  So, I was very late getting home, and got to bed about 1 AM.  Of course, every single time I go to bed late, Ty just happens to wake up early.  He was up for the day at 6AM.  I brought him in bed with me, but he would not go back to sleep.  I think it was because Heath had put him to bed, only half-way swaddled with his arms out.  We have been finding Tyson sleeping on his side a lot, and one day - he was nearly sleeping on his face!!!!  That was pretty scary, so Heath wants his arms to be out.  I knew this was going to be a problem and alas, the 6AM wake time, just confirmed it.

So that brings us to yesterday.  Tyson had more of a cranky day - he really had been "Happy Ty" everyday this week.  He probably was back to the crankiness because he got up at 6AM.  But it also could be because he is starting another cold (3rd one of the year)!!!!  Heath and I both are starting one too, so I'm not sure who has given it to who.  But Ty and I got cheered up by a visit from a friend from work, Susan.  She was so sweet and brought flowers and presents for Ty.  I am heartbroken because she gave her notice at work.  She is going to be taking care of her mother full-time in CT.  Her mother has Alzheimer's.  I'm really going to miss her - we have worked together nearly 7 years.  I completely understands why she is doing this, because our family when through the same thing with Mimi.

Last night might have been the first night that Heath was not here when Tyson went to bed.  That happens every week for me on Wednesdays, but never for Heath.  Heath went out for a business dinner and didn't get home until 9:30 PM.  Maybe that was why Tyson woke up at 12:30 AM and did not go back to sleep for an hour!  He was grinning at me, flailing his arms, and legs in his excited fashion - probably saying, "I want to see Daddy!"  Well, that didn't happen... and in my sickness-induced exhaustion, I fully swaddled him again and he went back to sleep.  Oh, the drama that surrounds Ty's sleeping!!!!

Have a great week everyone! =)

 He has been sucking his thumb a bit - but on the side - not up and down!

One of his new favorite things to do- bang toys onto the tray!  I call it his "desk"!

He figured out how to pull the bird's legs and get it to "fly" up!

Naked boy rolling on the floor!

I love how he grasps his hands!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Lauren had purple feet too...made me crazy! I would say it stopped about a year or so. They're just special that's all!

Wowsers, he's getting so big and advanced...seriously, rolling AND standing!

:)
S