"THERE NEVER HAS BEEN, NOR WILL THERE EVER BE, ANYTHING QUITE SO SPECIAL AS THE LOVE BETWEEN A MOTHER AND A SON." - AUTHOR UNKNOWN


Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Getting Naked, Special Cousin Times, Rolling Over, Wes is OK & Fever For Ty


Wes:  13 Weeks Old
Ty:  2 Years, 4 Months & 1 Week Old

I think the Potty Chronicles are finally over – for the most part.  Besides when he is sleeping, he is totally potty-trained and I think he is finally over being scared to go poop on the potty!  Not to say there won’t be any accidents, because there will be plenty, but not like in the beginning!  I’m happy to say that it was WAY better than I thought it would be. 

Last Friday our highlight was our weekly grocery run, after vacuuming the house.  I’ve really gotten spoiled with Tyson being so good in the store and he continued the tradition.  One cute thing was when we were in the frozen vegetable section.  All of a sudden, he lets out this shriek, “Oooo…corn…yea!”  He was freaking out over frozen corn.  Really?  How come he won’t touch it with a ten foot pole when it is on his plate?  I found that kind of interesting.  What was not only interesting, but annoying, was Westin completely refusing to nurse on my left side at his noontime feeding.  I had had it.  I said, “Enough is enough.”  I called right then and there and made an appointment with his pediatrician for an official weight check and to brainstorm about his eating behavior.  Speaking of behavior, Tyson displayed some really bad behavior at bedtime.  He has been difficult at bedtime lately, as I have mentioned before, but this night was ridiculous.  Every time we put him in bed we make sure that he has just gone potty, had a sip of water, and has a binky with him.  No matter what, Tyson cries for all of these things the minute we shut the door.  I let him cry it out for a few minutes at first, and then I checked the monitor to talk to him through the monitor.  There he was standing in his crib stark naked – his pajamas and his sleep diaper had been chucked on the floor.  I was NOT happy.  When I got into his room he said, “Potty, potty, potty.”  We went to the bathroom and shock of all shocks…he didn’t have to go!  I told him it was time for bed and no more shenanigans and what did he do 5 minutes later?  He got completely naked again.  I think he understood the nature of my fury after that and he finally went to sleep, but what an episode.

He still loves the vacuum  

Ty helped Daddy make cupcakes when he got home from work

Drooling over the results

On Sabbath it was my first weekend back to work.  Heath & the boys did not venture out since it was Heath’s first shift at home alone with the boys! (=  Everything went fine.  Westin took the bottle fairly well for Heath, but he agrees that it takes a bit of work and patience.  I have to say that Tyson seemed overjoyed to see me when I got home.  I think he got used to me being home weekend after weekend on maternity leave (I did too).  Heath is encouraging me to cut back on my hours and I’m very tempted to do so, but then other things make me second guess it.  When I got home, Heath said to me, “I’m so glad that I had this time with Westin.  I didn’t realize just how sweet of a baby he really is.”  If I was home, Heath wouldn’t be spending as much one on one time with Wes, so that is a definite bonus.

On Sunday it was back to work for me and Heath stayed at home with the boys again.  Sonia came for a visit and she watched them while Heath went ice-fishing in the afternoon, so that was nice for Heath.  After work I headed to the pharmacies.  Every Sunday that I work, I’m going to go to the pharmacies now alone.  Heath thinks that the pharmacies are full of germs and wants to decrease the kid’s time in the pharmacies anyways.  Well, I couldn’t be more thrilled to go shopping all by my lonesome.  My maiden voyage last Sunday was a bummer, though.  There was hardly anything that I needed to buy.  On Sunday night, Tyson’s excitement still continued when I got home from work.  He was so thrilled to show me how he had put Heath’s ice-fishing gear on and was running around the house with it! 


On Monday I did not have time to feel tired after my first weekend back to work.  We got right up and went to the Fairway.  It was vacation week and Mia was out of school.  We met Leigh, Mia, Bode & Zoe (Mia’s best friend) at the Fairway.  Finley was there too and we saw Shannon & Sean for a few minutes before they had to go to a wedding.  We had a nice lunch and then went swimming at the pool.  Noni watched Wes while I took Ty swimming.  He had a blast, like he always does.  But he ended up getting a time-out at the clubhouse while we were there.  He had disobeyed me and had run off at the clubhouse, so we headed to these plastic outdoor chairs set up outside of the pool.  I took him there for a time-out, but Ty figured a way out of that!  He stood right up on the chair and it tipped over backwards!  I tried to catch it and came close, but not quite.  He wasn’t hurt but I think that it scared him.  It scared me, that’s for sure!  But not enough not to finish his time-out!  Another thing that is kind of scaring me is that Tyson is developing a hitting problem.  So far, it seems like he just wants to hit me and not other kids, but that is bad enough.  I’m sure this is another phase that he has to go through, but he is getting so fresh! 

Cousins

Auntie Leigh

If anyone has seen the movie "Pitch Perfect"  - here is the "Cup Song."  Mia had watched the movie the night before & had the whole thing figured out!  And she made up this song to go along with it!  The girl is super talented!

Tyson trying to learn it - but he doesn't exactly have the patience for it! (=

Tuesday was a full day.  First of all, it was laundry day.  Then Shannon & Fin came over for a visit.  When Shannon first got here, Finley was sleeping in the car.  We kept watching her from the window but she kept sleeping.  Tyson was not amused with this.  He kept going to the window and saying, “Rinley (aka Finley), wake up!”  She finally did and they were very cute playing together.  What was also cute was Ty insisting that Auntie Shane (aka Shannon) and Rinley see him go potty every time!  He was so proud!  Speaking of being proud, I was SO SO proud of Westin on Tuesday afternoon.  He rolled over for the first time!  We were doing tummy time on a blanket when Uncle Adam came over and he just rolled right onto his back, like it was nothing!  He did it twice!  We ended up going out to eat at that new Italian place that we love on Tuesday because Sonia was coming over to spend the night that night.  I had to give Ty a time-out during dinner because he decided he wanted to scream in the restaurant and wouldn’t stop.  Wes was a bit cranky (weird) and I had to nurse him at the restaurant.  Good times.

Playing together

  I just love this picture - Shannon warning Finley about something!

Ty serenading Auntie Shannon

Getting a ride from Uncle Adam

Ty & Wes doing tummy time

The roll over!

Wednesday it was back to work for me and Sonia watched the boys, since she was off for vacation week.  She helped me and made a potty chart for Tyson!  We have to slow him down on the treats with the potty because he is doing so well!  He gets a sticker every time that he goes and once he gets 5 stickers, he gets a treat!  It seems to be working well.  I expected more of a melt-down over the stickers instead of the treats, but so far, so good.  In the afternoon, Ty had a little accident.  Wes was sleeping, so Sonia & Ty went outside playing in the snow.  Ty ended up tripping and did a face plant in the snow.  Normally, that wouldn’t be a big deal, but we had just gotten freezing rain the night before and the snow was very crunchy & hard.  He got a few scratches on his face, but he was fine otherwise.  But he keeps telling anyone who will listen, “Ty, outside, snow, boo-boo, ow.”    

Lots of things happened on Thursday.  Forgive the book.  First of all, I should have been clued in that something was awry, when Ty was up at 5 AM and would not go back to sleep until he was in our bed.  I thought he had a nightmare and I dismissed it.  We headed to Concord first thing in the morning with my mother.  We went to Westin’s appointment.  When I got there, I was dismayed to find out that we were not having an appointment with our doctor, but another provider.  I had specifically made the appointment a week out to see OUR doctor.  I had received a reminder call the day before saying that we were seeing our doctor, so I couldn’t understand it.  I had already brought Wes to see someone else in their group about this issue and I wanted to brainstorm with our doctor.  She knows my kids and knows their growth patterns and knows that they are on the small size.  I didn’t want a doctor to see Wes, freak out that he is only the 10-15th percentile for weight , and insist on me starting formula or something like that.  Our doctor has twin boys and had a nanny crisis in the morning, so they just moved her appointments to someone else, not knowing that I wanted to see her specifically.  She would be around that afternoon, so they rescheduled me.  It was a pain to leave and come back, but at least we would get it done!  We did a few errands and went to Goodwill and then headed back to the office.  Oh, something very funny happened in Goodwill.  The boys had fallen asleep, so my Mom had stayed in the car with them and let me shop by myself (heaven!).  Heath called & I was telling him that the appointment got pushed back and then I said, “I have to go.  I’m in Goodwill and the boys are asleep in the car.  I’ve got to get out there to them.”  Heath said, “What?  The boys are in the car and you are in Goodwill?!!!”  He didn’t know that my mother was with us!  I couldn’t believe that he would think that I would leave the kids alone in the car!  He really didn’t think that, but from what I said, it sure did sound like it!  Back to the appointment, Wes needs to be gaining 0.5-1 ounce every day.  I had taken him in exactly 3 weeks before and his weight was 10 pounds 7 ounces.  With gaining what he should be, he should be between 11 pounds 1 ounce & 11 pounds 12 ounces.  Well, he was 11 pounds 9 ounces!  So he is completely where he should be!  That put me at ease, for sure.  She thinks he looks great.  It does not sound like acid reflux, because he should be screaming for hours on end with that.  She doesn’t think it sounds like he has a stomach stricture or something because he would be projectile vomiting all the time.  She says that everything points to him getting enough to eat and that he probably is just more efficient at nursing now.  So I’m going to try to chill out and we will be rechecking his weight at his 4 month appointment, which will be coming up in a few weeks.  I still ordered an electronic scale, though, so I can keep track at home too!  So, when we got home from our adventure, I put Ty down for a late nap.  When I got him up, he was on fire.  He had a fever of 102.7.  My poor bugger.  Oh yeah, my second clue that he was sick was when we went to Taco Bell after Westin’s appointment and Ty would hardly eat anything.  I should have known when he didn’t want any Cinnamon Twists – which he usually loves.  Anyways, after his nap, he went right on the potty and was peeing.  He looked down to check on his progress and his binky fell into the toilet!!!!  Gross!  I quickly rinsed it in the sink, but left it on the side to thoroughly disinfect it later.  I wanted to medicate Ty for his fever and Westin was due to eat…so I was in a rush.  That came to bite me later, when we were all cuddling up for story time and I did a double take.  Ty had the toilet binky in his mouth!!!!  I couldn’t help but laugh and laugh and Heath was like, “Ty wanted the binky, so I gave it to him!  I didn’t know!”  Totally my fault.  Thursday night was a night to remember.  I was nursing Wes up in our bed and Heath brought Ty up for story time at about 8 PM.  Ty was so subdued with his fever and just wanted to cuddle, so Heath was cuddling with him.  Next thing I know, it is 11 PM.  All 4 of us fell asleep together in the bed!  Then, I tried to lay Wes down in his crib and he started crying.  Heath tried to lie Ty down in his crib and he started crying.  So there we were, all 4 of us back in the big bed together!  So we turned on Downton Abbey and watched a couple episodes until 1 AM.  Finally then we could get everyone to sleep.  We kept Ty with us, though, since I feel better having him next to me when he has a fever like that.  I don’t know…I’m always thinking of febrile seizures for some reason.  What a day.  Well, I hope everyone has a great week!   

Not feeling well - his little bed Heath made for him while we cooked supper






1 comment:

Shannon said...

Oh, such fun! I let the kids pick out 1-2 fruits and 1-2 veggies when I take them grocery shopping, and then they are so excited to try them...they pick things like jicama, brussel sprouts, grapefruit, etc. It helps them to try new things, and they are super excited to pick them out...maybe he'd pick out corn?!

Lauren brushed her teeth using toilet water once, and then told me not to worry because she had flushed the poop down! I felt much better...she survived, I'm sure Ty will too:)

Miss you Alison!