"THERE NEVER HAS BEEN, NOR WILL THERE EVER BE, ANYTHING QUITE SO SPECIAL AS THE LOVE BETWEEN A MOTHER AND A SON." - AUTHOR UNKNOWN


Saturday, January 5, 2013

Edwards Christmas, Westin's 1st Night Away, Ty Sick, No Santa, First Movie, Wes Vomiting, Sledding & iTunes Downloading

Wes:  5 Weeks Old
Ty:  2 Years, 2 Months & 1 Week Old 

And here I am still 2 weeks behind…I’ll catch up at some point.  I promise.

2 Fridays ago, I was very busy getting everything packed for Westin’s first night away from home!  Well, it was the weekend before Christmas and we were headed to the Edwards.  Forget his first night away… it would be 5 nights away!  Heath was lucky to have Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday off – so that was great.  Ty was in heaven.  All you heard constantly was, “Daddy, Daddy, Daddy!”  When it is just the 3 of us (the boys & I), Tyson is fine with me… but if Heath is around, Ty has to be with him at all times.  So the 5 days together actually is worse for his Daddy obsession, but what are you going to do?  Unfortunately, my busy day of packing and being all ready to go when Heath got home got completely blown up.  Tyson came down with what I thought was teething.  Well, he definitely was teething…he would point in his mouth and say, “Ow” and he was drooling up a storm.  He had a fever of 103.0 and would not sleep alone on Thursday night.  He was so miserable, crying and tossing & turning all night.  In the morning, he was so exhausted that he slept in our bed until 11 AM.  I was up nursing Wes and puttering around the room, but I couldn’t leave him alone in our bed (he is a wicked restless sleeper and our bed is pretty high up), so my packing did not get completed.  Then I rushed the boys to the grocery store after Ty woke up after I managed to get a bit of breakfast into him.  I was about ready to lose it, because it was absolutely down-pouring again when we got to the grocery store.  Poor Ty got soaked again, while I was buckling him into the cart and putting Westin’s car seat into the cart.  I tried to have Ty hold an umbrella, but he couldn’t hold it up for long!  Well, Heath got home very early and we made it to the Edwards for supper.  Westin was a rock star and slept great his first night away.  We did bring the swing and he had no problems at all!  Tyson on the other hand, would not sleep in the new crib that Grammy had bought him and slept with us again all night, and not much sleep was had by all that night (except Wes, who slept through it all).



On Sabbath, we didn’t make Sabbath School and we were late getting to church as well.  We just had a hard time moving due to our lack of sleep and it was completely obvious that Tyson was sick with a cold, as well as teething on Sabbath.  His runny nose and coughing was absurd… and now it has been 2 weeks and he still has a pretty decent cough.  Conway church had their Christmas program and it was lengthy as usual.  Ty could not last the whole service and I took him to the Mother’s Room for awhile, but then Heath had to take over so I could nurse Westin.  I sang “Silent Night” with my father and Mia.  We winged it, since I couldn’t make it early enough to practice.  I think it went fine.  We went back to the Edwards for lunch and Ty actually took a 30 minute nap in the car on the way home!  There is hope!  Maybe he is getting used to this car seat!  Saturday night made it 3 nights in a row that our eldest boy had to sleep with us.  It’s so hard when they are sick, so we just don’t push it.  I knew that this would pass. 


My attempt at a family picture


On Sunday, we had a busy day!  We went to Freeport first thing and got some veggie meat that was on-sale at the ABC.  Then we went to Portland to finish up our Christmas shopping.  Well, finish it for Heath’s side of the family… my family Christmas isn’t until 1/5 and 1/6 (due to nursing schedules and the Frosts visiting Sean’s family in Texas and Oklahoma).  Ty did fairly well in the stores, which was good.  But Heath was pretty much in charge of him (the Daddy obsession does have some perks)!  We went to the mall and we tried to see if Ty would sit on Santa’s lap, but he wouldn’t do it.  I was pretty disgusted with the set up there.  Maybe it is the same way everywhere you go, but you can’t take pictures of your kids on Santa’s lap anymore.  They have professional photographers there and you HAVE to buy their pictures.  I knew they usually have photographers there… but now there are signs everywhere saying, “No cameras or cell phones allowed!”  How rude.  I was going to try to pretend I was taking a picture of Wes in his car seat and then snap one of Ty on Santa’s lap, but turns out I didn’t have to go to such extremes anyway.  We ended our big shopping day at Red Robin restaurant.  I love that place!  They only used to be down south or out west, but now they have one in Portland.  It is a gourmet burger joint and you can get any specialty burgers with a Gardenburger.  It is delicious.  Ty was quite a handful.  He is just getting very difficult in restaurants.  He is so active and does not want to sit still for anything.  I had to nurse Wes, so the rest of them were on their own with the monster!  He is very much into trying to take sips of our sodas.  He was reaching for Heath’s glass quickly (trying to prevent Heath from noticing, I think) when he came down very hard on the straw and cut his upper lip.  He was bleeding quite a bit and it scared him.  It was quite the time.  The great times continued that night when Ty still needed to sleep with us.  He was really sick.


Riding the "short bus" (just kidding...) at the mall

Heath & Ty waiting in line for Santa

Wes sleeping while shopping

On Christmas Eve, we laid low all day and had a relaxing day.  I was getting nervous since Westin sounded like he was getting the cold… he was pretty stuffy.  But he still has not fully gotten it.  It is very weird – he will be very congested in the mornings, but then it clears right up and he is fine throughout the day.  But he will be stuffy again in the morning.  I’m not really sure what this means.  The highlights of our day consisted of Ty refusing to take a nap (he was really tired, but it was not dark enough in his room…so he just wouldn’t sleep).  After an hour of trying, I gave up.  That night, we got Ty all comfy in his PJ’s and cuddled him up on the couch and we watched the New Ice Age movie.  We thought that he would watch a little bit of it and fall asleep with us.  Well, that didn’t happen.  Ty officially watched his first full-length movie!  He absolutely loved it.  He kept pointing at the TV yelling, “Whoah… whoah…whoah!”  Very cute.  What was great was that it was late when he was getting to bed (around 10 PM) and he went right to sleep in his new crib alone that night!


Ty made Xmas cookies with Grammy & was very proud

Ty put Jenga pieces into the little fireplace!  I thought that was pretty smart!

On Christmas, poor Wes had a rough moment.  I don’t think I mentioned that Wes does not seem to be able to handle any oral secretions at all.  Whenever he gets anything in his mouth at all, he gags like crazy.  It is a little weird.  Well, I had nursed him at about 6 AM and put him back in his swing to go back to sleep.  Just a few minutes later, he started fussing.  The poor thing had quietly vomited everywhere.  He vomited all over his swaddle and there was a puddle in the bottom of the swing!  The swing obviously makes some noise, so I didn’t hear him.  Poor guy.  I was afraid he was getting a virus, but it appears that it was just the gagging that brought it on from the post-nasal drip.  It was a one-time thing and then he was fine.  Tyson was not fine, but that didn’t stop his Christmas spirit at all!  He was just so excited to open the presents, it was so cute.  He was very sweet with Westin and would bring all of Westin’s presents over to him and help Wes open them!  He was such a crazy boy, that he lost all steam at the end, and didn’t even want to open his last present… which was a tricycle from Heath & I.  He finally did and was psyched, but he was so worn out!  It did snow a bit on Christmas and Ty went outside “sledding’ with Heath.  Heath pretty much pulled Ty around and he thought that was great!  Extended family on Sonia’s side came over and we had a nice Christmas dinner together.  Everyone seemed to love Westin – and who wouldn’t?  He is such a cutie.  Ty was very hyper with everyone around and was on the move like crazy, until I said enough was enough and he went to bed at 11 PM.  He slept in his own bed again and went right to sleep!


Xmas morning!

Poor Wes is constantly slobbered on by Ty


Cuddling a present that Uncle Adam gave him

Ty with his trike

Sledding with Daddy

Wednesday morning, Wes gave me a treat and slept until 7:15 AM!  It was nearly a 7 hour stretch.  He is just doing great!  We packed up all our presents and Sonia & Norma took some things home for us, too – since they were coming to our area to go to shopping.  Ty (and us) were very happy to get home.  He went right to playing with his toys!  We met up with Noni & Poppy at the OG that night and Ty was quite the handful.  I was stuck nursing again during dinner, so I couldn’t help the whole time.


He fell asleep on the way home

Really asleep!

On Thursday the kids & I unpacked from our time away and watched the snow come down!  We were supposed to get 12-18 inches, but we only got around 6.  But it was still pretty!  What wasn’t pretty was that I realized something that Ty had done with my iPhone.  He has been also obsessed with cats lately and always wants to watch cat videos on Youtube.  He can play videos all by himself and he also goes into the iTunes store and previews music and watches movie trailers etc. there.  Well, he kept putting on this explicit gangster rap all the time!  It was the same singer…same album… when I finally figured out that he kept going to the same artist because he downloaded the WHOLE ALBUM!  $15 gone down the tubes!  I couldn’t believe it.  When he started going into the iTunes store all the time, I tested it to make sure he couldn’t buy any of the music.  You have to put your password in everytime.  And it is 8 digit password.  So this didn’t make any sense.  So Heath emailed Apple and they credited us!  Gotta love it!  OK – have a great week!


Happy to be home!  Ty is watching cat videos on my phone... or downloading more albums! (=

Rocking out to the guitar that Auntie Paula gave him


I asked Ty want he wanted for lunch and he got the can of soup, can opener, and spoon all by himself!  Then he started crying, "Soup, soup, soup!"  


No comments: