"THERE NEVER HAS BEEN, NOR WILL THERE EVER BE, ANYTHING QUITE SO SPECIAL AS THE LOVE BETWEEN A MOTHER AND A SON." - AUTHOR UNKNOWN


Sunday, November 13, 2011

Colic Again, Sturbridge, 2nd Tooth, & Walking (Really)

Week 54

Last Friday Ty and I spent the day finishing cleaning the house and then we were rewarded by going to Shannon & Sean's for Friday night supper.  Shannon made a wonderful corn chowder.  It was fantastic!  I brought our grinder and ground up the soup for Ty and he loved it too!  Unfortunately, he didn't love it later.  He was up nearly all night screaming in bed with us with a lot of gas.  I just don't get it.  He eats yogurt and cheese with no problem - but a little milk and half & half just about killed him.  Does that mean he is a little lactose intolerant or is his stomach just too immature to handle it?  I just don't know.  It's definitely going to make me gun-shy to give him a lot of milk or cream for awhile.

Finley hangin' with Uncle Heath

Daddy testing out Ty's car seat - he stayed in!

Since none of us hardly got any sleep on Friday night, we didn't go to Sabbath School.  But we made it for church and met the Frosts and Sonia there.  Ty was a crazy animal in church again - very restless, but at least we didn't have to take him to the mother's room.  After church the whole group headed home for lunch and Adam met us there.  I actually used the extra leaf for my table and got my good china out for the first time!  We had a banquet for lunch, but somehow it took forever to get it all made.  We ate pretty late at almost 2:30 pm - what are you going to do - I'm slow in the kitchen!  Ty ate the meatloaf I made and loved it, but still hates mashed potatoes.  I don't know how he can be my child and not like mashed potatoes - it is one of my favorites.  Now the potatoes had some milk and half & half in them and he didn't have any problems at all.  I guess maybe it is how much of it he eats... I don't know.  On Saturday night, Shannon & Sean went to look at a house and we stayed home and watched the boob tube.  Sonia and Adam stayed for awhile and then headed home.
Despite crying all night, he still woke up happy!

Sunday morning we had to get up wicked early at 6:30 because we were going with Conway church to Sturbridge Village.  On Sunday morning, I noticed that Ty had his second bottom tooth coming through!  Yea!  I guess that gives us an answer to the fevers and all the drama last week.  I thought so, but it was nice to have it confirmed!  Well, we didn't leave home until 7:45 and got there at about 10:00.  We stayed almost until closing time - a little after 4:00.  We had a blast - I know I've been there before but not since I was a kid.  It was a great time.  We busted out our new backpack for Ty to ride in - and he loved it!  After lunch he fell asleep in the backpack for about 2 hours!  I think he was so comfy all bundled up!  Probably one of Ty's highlight was having some of my apple candy stick that we had gotten at the general store.  Wow, he really wanted more of that! (=  On the way home we went to the Cheesecake Factory with my parents and some friends from church.  Man, I love that place but it is so wicked expensive.  We got home and then I proceeded to watch the Pats lose yet again.  They are just down-right terrible this year.  Terrible.

Loving his new backpack

Father-daughter time

Protecting Ty's ears during a musket demonstration

Completely passed out

Alive and well at the Cheesecake Factory - trying to get him to walk (not successful)

On Monday Ty and I hit the pharmacies early, but it wasn't a great week.  I got Pledge for $1 and Arm & Hammer 32 load high efficiency detergent for $1.50.  The big thing that we did was we did a price match between Market Basket and Hannaford.  I had bought my groceries as normal at Market Bastket on Friday.  Then on Monday we went and checked out the prices at Hannaford.  There is a great deal on bottled water at MB and blocks of cheese (which I never usually buy), but otherwise the prices for the things that we buy week in and week out is exactly the same.  So I'm going to start going back to Hannaford, because I am sick and tired of being beat up at Market Basket.  That place is a zoo and you can barely move in that store.  Yes, the produce is a tad cheaper but it is terrible and it only lasts a few days.  I think it is really good on their meat prices and that's why everyone goes there, but that doesn't help me at all... so I'm jumping ship! (=  As we were leaving the grocery store, it was time for Ty's nap and I talked to him non-stop the entire way home to prevent him from falling asleep in the car.  He would keep shutting his eyes and I would yell at him, "TYSON!" and then proceed to talk very animated about nothing in particular.  But it paid off with ab 1 hour and 20 minute nap!  Whoo hoo!  In the afternoon Shannon and Fin came over (yes, we're starting the nickname already) and Shannon ran to the grocery store alone - while I watched Finley.  It was right at Ty's lunch time, but I fed him as fast as I could in case Fin started crying.  She did, but just as Ty was finishing his last course.  It was interesting to see how I would juggle 2 kids - it wasn't for very long - but I can see how challenging it can be.
My first try with 2 kids alone (Ty looks happy)

Tuesday consisted of laundry day and that's about it.  Ty started doing something ridiculous.  He is now obsessed with closing doors.  He kept closing the bedroom door and the closet door - with me on the other side.  Immediately he would start bawling because he didn't see me anymore!  He did this like a million times!  What a funny guy.  On Tuesday night we had a breakthrough with the walking!  We held up any electronic device we had (Ipad, video camera) and he took about 4-5 steps to it about 5 different times!  It was not a fluke this time!  However, he still is scared and needs coaxing... but he can do it! (=  So proud of him!

Walking to the Ipad

Getting to play with the Ipad as a reward - look at his hand in action!

On Wednesday I worked and I showed off Ty's new walking skills to Noni before I left...and he did it again!   At my dumpster dive it was a poor night indeed - I only came away with 7 inserts.  Still worth it, but disappointing.  Did people just not get Sunday papers this week or did they just not recycle them?  Wednesday night into Thursday AM, Ty woke up at 1 AM and I worked with him until 2:30 AM trying to get him back to sleep.  It wasn't working and I was exhausted after working my 12 hour day... so after an hour and a half I had had it.  Ty was not acting in pain at all - just needy.  As long as I was in the room with him, either rubbing his head or holding his hand (his favorite) he was quiet as a mouse.  But if I tried to sneak out of there, all hell would break loose.  So I decided then and there the time had come for Tyson to start crying it out.  I told him that he would need to cry for 30 minutes straight (which he had never done).  I went back in my room and I never sleep with him crying...well, there's a first time for everything and I DID fall asleep.  I woke up at 3:30 AM in a panic!!!!  Ty was lying down, sleeping in his crib... but he probably cried the entire hour.  I felt horrible.

On Thursday Ty was good as new.  I was worried that he would be mad at me for letting him cry it out, but it was like nothing had happened.  Thank goodness.  Our highlight for the day was meeting Shannon, Finley, Noni, and Grammy Lyn (Sean's mother) at the outlets for some shopping.  Tyson started with impatience in the stroller AT THE FIRST STORE.  Are you kidding me?  Actually I said that to him.  "Are you kidding me, Tyson?  We are just getting started!"  But he settled down.  I never get anything at Gap, but I caved because it was 70% off and I couldn't resist it.  It is a long-sleeved T-shirt for Ty that says "Lock up your daughters!"  I love it, it is just the cutest thing ever.  He already is a wicked flirt and will only get worse, I'm sure.  On Thursday night, the gang (minus Noni and plus Sean, Heath & Adam) went to the OG.  Ty loved my minestrone soup this time, and is a breadstick-aholic for sure.  Because of our night out Ty was getting to bed around 10 PM.  This was his first official bedtime of crying it out.  I rocked him for about 10 minutes (it had been taking 30 minutes lately, so this was just to relax him) and then the crying began.  I let him go for 15 minutes and then I consoled him.  Then he cried for 30 minutes straight.  I didn't think I was going to have that much of a hard time with it - because I have a harder heart than Heath does when he cries (I am the big disciplinarian) and I know that he needs to learn to go to sleep by himself.  This HAS to happen.  But when I went up there after his 30 minute cry-out, I started sobbing.  Ty was standing in his crib (he stands the entire time), with his arms on the top railing and his head resting on his arms... and his eyes were so swollen and red from crying, it just killed me.  Killed me.  Usually he grabs a hold of me like he is dying and hugs me, but he had nothing left.  He was actually nearly asleep standing up.  I hugged him for a minute and then I laid him down and he was asleep immediately.  Man, that was tough.  Heath said it best when he said, "He went to sleep with a broken heart."  )=  That about sums it up.    
At the OG - he would keep grabbing Heath's arm to get his attention  

Have a good week!  Here are some more random pictures, including some great ones of Heath & Ty at Sturbridge.






Brushing his teeth - he loves it!

Getting into another cabinet (=

2 comments:

Corey said...

Oh man. Sorry to hear about your "crying it out" drama. I can totally relate. As I write this, Brady is screaming in his crib. I'm pumping so there's no way I could get to him even if I wanted to. It is SO hard but for the best, really.

Judy E said...

Alison-I love reading your blog every week. I don't know how you do it.

I certainly remember trying to keep Ben awake on the way home from church so he wouldn't fall asleep before lunch. If he slept at all, it would be no nap after lunch. Heather usually managed to stay awake. I don't think I could have kept both of them awake at the same time!