"THERE NEVER HAS BEEN, NOR WILL THERE EVER BE, ANYTHING QUITE SO SPECIAL AS THE LOVE BETWEEN A MOTHER AND A SON." - AUTHOR UNKNOWN


Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Chasing, Nanny & Papa visit, & Thanksgiving Rash

Week 56

Last Friday was officially Pajama Day for Ty and I.  I had only gotten 3 hours of sleep after going to the midnight movie the night before and Ty and I just laid low.  He was happy as a clam being in his pj's all day and doing his new favorite thing.  He loves to get me (or anyone) to chase him.  He starts crawling away, then he stops, turns and looks at me with a silly grin and starts laughing and crawls away at lightning speed!  He just loves it!  I crawled all over the house after him - and, man, does it hurt to crawl on hardwood floor!!!  Tyson was flying like he felt nothing at all and I was crawling slowly behind him in pain!  Doesn't he realize that it doesn't hurt to walk?  Shannon, Sean, & Finley came over for Friday night supper, but I gave the disclaimer that it was Pajama Day to warn them.  We had an interesting menu of pasta with homemade alfredo sauce and mushrooms (Shannon made) and a pumpkin curry soup (I made).  It was a good time.  But the good times were short-lived with Tyson.  He cried for another hour to go to sleep again.  Very discouraging.

  Taking a break from the chasing to look at the roses (=

Cousin Finley visiting Friday night

Daddy consoling Ty during his hour-long cry

On Sabbath I worked again because I did a weekend swap, so I could have the weekend after Thanksgiving off.  I worked 10a-10p, which I thought that I would hate, but it wasn't terrible.  Heath & Ty went up to northern New Hampshire with Sonia, Keith, and Adam.  They drove around looking at property.  We have been trying to buy property to build a camp for years, but we have never found the right one.  We might have found it now.  It is a gorgeous 14 acre lot with panoramic views of Vermont and Canada.  If it all goes well, this might actually happen.  I felt terrible that Ty had to stay in the the car seat for 5 hours (2.5 hours each way), but he did great!  They went to out to eat at the Woodstock Brewery (one of our favorites) in Lincoln on the way home (lucky ducks, while I was stuck with hospital food).  By the time they got home, Ty went right to sleep.  Probably a fluke because he was so tired, but a girl can hope, right?

Ty sleeping Sabbath morning

Close-up

On Sunday I worked 10a-10p again, so I had to go to the pharmacies first before work.  It wasn't a great week for free things, but it was a good week for me because I got things that I was nearly out of at home.  I got toilet paper, vitamins, and head-to-toe wash for Ty - all at great prices.  I was supposed to go to the dumpster after work, since I couldn't go last Wednesday, but I had forgotten by head lamp at home, so I couldn't go.  Bummer.  Ty & Heath had gone to the Edwards' house and Heath helped his father with a project.  They drove back fairly late, so Ty didn't have any trouble going to sleep again.  Let's keep it up!

On Monday I was home again!  Unfortunately for Ty.  I had an epiphany.  I had been rocking Ty to sleep for his naps but making him cry it out for bedtime.  That is beyond unfair for him to get mixed messages.  But I was dreading him crying it out for his naps.  He only usually sleeps for 30-45 minutes.  So was I really going to fight with him for an hour for him to take his little power nap?  Well, I did and he cried for a full hour.  But he slept for an hour and 15 minutes!  He might have slept even longer, but I had to wake him up!  We were meeting my parents, Shannon & Finley, and Nanny & Papa at a chinese restaurant for lunch.  Nanny & Papa flew in from Florida for Thanksgiving and to, obviously, to see the new babies.  It was great to see them!  I wished they lived closer!  The food was great, too bad Tyson didn't get to enjoy any of it.  It was one of his off days and he wouldn't touch the rice or tofu.  He only wanted his regular baby food and he chowed down like crazy on that.  So annoying.  After lunch, Ty & I headed on some errands.  We went to Kohl's and used a $10 off coupon that we had.  We had to make an emergency stop at the bathroom at Kohl's.  Ty officially has the antibiotic diarrhea.  He was pooping up a storm.  Well, we got all cleaned up and headed to Hannaford.  On Monday night he was back to crying for 15 minutes and then going to bed.  I'll take it!

Ty spooning his monkey after his hour-long cry before his nap

Visit with Nanny & Papa

Excited to be in the big boy seat at Kohl's!

Playing around in the kitchen

On Tuesday AM Ty and I hit up a couple of thrift stores with Shannon & Finley.  Ty took a nice 45 minute nap while we were shopping.  I got some nice things for Ty.  Shannon & I were talking about how we never even look for ourselves anymore.  It is all about the kiddos!  In the afternoon, Ty & I got packed up for Thanksgiving.  I had to work on Wednesday, so Heath (who took the day off) and Ty were going to his parents' house and I would go after work.  Ty did well while I was packing, but I noticed that he felt hot.  Another fever of 100.6.  I was ready to have a fit, but then I remembered that the doctor had warned me that Ty might get a fever 7-10 days after his shots.  This was day 7, so I relaxed a bit.  He acted totally fine!  On Tuesday night we went out to eat, since we weren't going to have our normal Thursday night out.  We went to Chili's with Shannon, Sean & Finley.  We had fun and Ty did well with the food - eating some bread, fries, and part of my black bean burger.  Yes!

The Three Amigos in "jail"

On Wednesday we got 7 inches of snow!  It was still snowing/freezing rain when I left for work.  This is when I hate my commute!  Heath called me while I was at work to tell me that Tyson had a rash.  It was small pinpoints over his face and his chest.  I had him call our pediatrician and he talked to the on-call doctor.  Very quickly, the doctor told Heath that it is very common for kids to get a reaction to the MMR vaccination 7-10 days after getting the shot.  He said that the rash would last about 4-5 days and that it was benign.  I felt better when I heard that.  Ty was a crazy person at the Edwards' on Wednesday night.  He found a container of oatmeal, dumped it out, and had a blast playing with the oats all over the floor.  Sorry I missed that scene!  After work, I rushed to the dumpster and had one of my best nights ever - I got 27 inserts!  I could have gotten more, but I only had a limited time because I was meeting Krystle, a friend from work, at Rite Aid.  The Black Friday deals at the pharmacies were starting on Thanksgiving day.  So I had called the 24 hour pharmacies and verified that their sales would start at midnight on Wednesday night.  Krystle and I got everything that we wanted at Rite Aid and got to the register right at midnight.  Then we were dealt our bad news.  They said, "Technically the sale starts at midnight, but our registers never ring in the sale prices until 2-4 AM."  I was ready to come unglued.  I had called and spoken to the manager about this and he assured me that it started at midnight!  We did a test run on a couple of items, but it didn't work.  Thank goodness, they had pity on us and put our carts in their back room.  So Krystle and I went across town and went to CVS.  That was quite a bit more busy.  We still got everything we wanted, except for the Theraflu (same as Corey's CVS adventure).  We went back to Rite Aid and I prayed that the registers would work - and they did!  Krystle headed home (lucky girl) and I debated whether to go to Walgreens or not.  The only 24 hour one was in Rochester, which was about 30 minutes out of the way... but who was I kidding?  Of course I went.  I didn't do as well at Walgreens, but well enough.  My final numbers are pretty impressive.  I got a total of $195.68 in merchandise and I spent $22.21 out of pocket.  BUT THEN... I got $48.94 in pharmacy money back.  So I actually MADE $26.73!!!  It was great.

Ty's rash starting

Rite Aid loot

CVS loot

Walgreens loot

Thanksgiving Day, I rolled in to the Edwards' just before 5 AM.  And just like last week when I had a ridiculously late night, Ty was up at 6:30 AM.  I told Heath that he was on his own that I needed to sleep until 10 AM - and I did just that!  When I came to, the sight before me was just too much.  Tyson's rash had exploded and was 10 times worse than the night before.  It was not only on his face and chest, but now on his arms, legs, scalp, palms of his hands, and the bottom of his feet.  Everywhere.  He looked terrible!  Just terrible.  He acted like it didn't bother him at all.  So that was good.  We tried Benadryl, just for kicks and it didn't do anything.  Heath called him his "Leprosy Boy."  We had a nice Thanksgiving dinner at the Edwards' with 13 of us.  It was great eating.  Again, Tyson wouldn't have any of it, but he went to town on the pies.  What a picky eater!!  After dinner, we thought that Ty's rash was getting worse by the minute, so we called the on-call doctor again.  We got a different doctor and he agreed with what the first doctor said.  That it was the MMR vaccination and that we shouldn't worry about it.  We offered to email him pictures, but he declined.  He told us to look up pictures of the measles and that the rash would look just like it - and it did!  But he said just to be safe we should stop the Amoxicillin.  He only had 1 more day to go anyway.  So stay tuned next week for the conclusion of the rash drama.  

You just wouldn't believe it

Completely covered

Still happy

His chest/belly

His face was the worst

Have a great week!

3 comments:

Mia Valeriani said...

Hi alison i wanted to know if ty still has his rash

Alison said...

No Mia - the majority of it is gone. He only has a small bit left on his face! Thank goodness! (=

Aunt Lori said...

So glad Tyson is better. It was so painful just to look at him, but it was so good to see you guys after Thanksgiving. Hope to see you soon??